Monday, July 25, 2005

In search of the Green Tea Frappucino...

Failure. I hate to start off a paragraph like that, but failure. Friday morning I set off for my local Starbucks, hoping against hope that their menu would boast the controversial Green Tea Frappucino. Keep in mind that- unlike Meri's down-the-stairs deal- my "local" Starbucks happens to be 2 metro-stops- or 25-minutes walking- away. I might move. Anyway, I went with the 25-minute walk on Friday morning, given my recent neglect of the word "exercise." Arriving at Starbucks, Calle Orense #6, I wiped my feet on the doormat as the automatic doors slid open to welcome me with the scent of arabica coffee grounds. My eyes darted to the menu board and quickly scanned the options, but I knew I was in trouble when there was no mini-cardboard "NEW!" sign on the cash register. My heart sank as my eyes found and rested on the "Other Frappucinos and Tea" section, an extensive menu of two: Mango or Black Tea with Raspberry. I stared at the menu boards a few minutes more, somehow hoping to find the elusive Green Tea tucked away between mochas and syrups, but I finally ordered a Caramel Macchiato and walked away.

It doesn't stop there. Discouraged, I took the metro back (2 stops) to my apartment and finished packing my bags for Heidelberg. I arrived at 7 that night, but the next morning we hit up the Hauptstrasse for an attempt at the Green Tea Frappucino, Germany. I entered the store, my eyes scanned the board, the tears lined my face. Strike Two.

In a last, valiant effort, I went to Paris, France. Okay, I was actually going there anyway, but I made a pointed effort to visit the Starbucks at Opera... to no avail. Strike Three.

And so it seems that Europe is on a standard no-green-tea plan. I'm pretty upset about not being able to cast the deciding vote but, to be honest, I feel like I would like it...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clearly, if they dont offer it in europe, then the almighty starbucks management has decided that the GTF is not up to snuff for Europeans' discerning taste buds. Game Set Match Peterson

Anonymous said...

no no nooooooo...CLEARLY this is just an example of the way things work in this world...things come out here in the US first, aka movies, tv shows, starbucks drinks,etc etc, and then a few months later they head over to Europe. now I think the green tea selection is still relatively new here, so i would give it a couple months...maybe less since it is so delicious and is clearly a successful starbucks endeavor. game set what???? YOUR MOMmmmmmmm =)