As the Spanish gets better, the English gets worse. You might not notice from my proof-read posts, but I'm struggling here. Yesterday I caught myself using the wrong form of "your," and the other day I typed "they're" instead of "there." What a nightmare. It's times like these, therefore, that I am grateful for words like "duffel." First, its got a great connotation- sports, travel, adventure!- but, above all, it has flexible spelling! Who knew?! On my second read-through of the skirt story, I found that I'd spelled it "duffel" the first time, and "duffle" a few paragraphs down. "Odd," I thought, but not surprising given my recent record. Not one to feel comfortable publishing spelling errors, however, I took to the books- answers.com, that is- and what to my wondering eyes should appear but
duf·fel or duf·fle (dŭf'el) n.
1. a large cylindrical bag of heavy cloth; for carrying personal belongings
2. a coarse heavy woolen fabric
Incredible! You can't go wrong! For consistency's sake I chose one for both accounts, finally going with "duffel" because a) it was the original instinct, b) it is, after all, listed first of the two [alphabetical? ...I think not], and c) the original word is Dutch, after Duffel, a town of northern Belgium.
Even better? The synonym for "duffel" is "duffle." thanks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
dorrrrrrrrk. haha...but now it is bothering me-- i never realized that there were 2 different ways to spell it, and i can't think of how i would naturally spell it without thinking, ya know...hmmmmsies...annnnnyway. i am in maui now! i just got here today...ALOOOOOHA =) PEACE out.
Wendy, dont forget the time on IM when you told me that you were trying to find out "how to arrive to my interview"
Post a Comment