Thursday, September 07, 2006

mixing it up

I don't know what came over me yesterday, but I think we can all learn from it.

A few coworkers and I had adventured into a new deli for lunch, so I stepped calmly to the side while I surveyed the goods: pastas to the left, couscous to the right, soups in the back, hmmm. Then I spotted what I was looking for: the make-your-own-salad station. Perfect. Lots of deli's have a similar set-up, but the options will vary so I scanned the ingredients board as I took my place in line. Unfortunately, it was a line of two, and I soon found myself staring into the eyes of The Salad Man: "Yes, miss?" I started off calmly with the "Romaine mix," then requested my standard "mushrooms" (fresh) and "tomatoes" (cherry). I generally mix it up- so to speak- at this point, so I searched the mini-containers as Salad Man tossed the tomatoes and mushrooms. "And?" And... and... "blue cheese." And... and then I saw it: Pesto Chicken. Pesto Chicken?! I love pesto chicken! "Pesto Chicken," I said, "and oil and vinegar." Salad Man mixed it up, topped it off, and undoubtedly shook his head for the rest of the day.

Blue cheese + pesto + vinegar? Sick.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm! I love salad!!!!

Did the "Salad Man" say "No Salad for you!!!" ?