Monday, July 31, 2006

hot town, summer in the city

60 degrees: shorts. 70 degrees: barefeet. 80 degrees: play in the water.

Those were the rules ingrained in me as a child, so lately I'm wondering where in the world is my Slip 'n Slide. I think my brothers, sister, and I slid our way through an average of one per summer in our early years, eventually earning ourselves a Crocodile Mile.

"YOU RUN! YOU SLIDE! You hit the ramp, and take a DIVE!"

Except you didn't, really. How those kids in the commercial caught so much air, I'll never know. Still, it was the Crocodile Mile! I was always a little disappointed our edition didn't have the arched Croc streamers and we all know the "giant splashdown pool" wasn't all it was cracked up to be, but streamers might have interfered with The Twist I was ever-perfecting, and a larger pool would have inevitably led to more dunkings by the older brother. Slip 'n Slides, running through sprinklers, wading in ditches, SuperSoakers and water balloon fights, trampolines and hoses... those were the days.

Where's my popsicle.

No comments: