Monday, January 09, 2006

junkers

My apartment's boiler, a JUNKERS brand ZW28 Euroline, lived up to its name Thursday night with a sudden decision to flash a red button rather than heating my water and apartment. I know nothing of boilers, but hoped the poor thing would come back to life and figured that a few extra blankets and showerless days never hurt anybody. Since Friday was one of the biggest holidays in Spain, (Felices Reyes, by the way) I decided to wait until Saturday morning to call my landlady. When at last I did, I found she knows less about boilers than I do. Her son thought it might be due to low pressure, however, so armed with JUNKERS manuals and my Eddie Bauer multi-tool, I fiddled around for an hour or two before calling back with my failure report. One cold day later, my landlady and her son came over with manuals and tools, fiddling around an hour or two of their own before calling it quits as well.

My landlady talked to the JUNKERS man today, and it turns out all we had to do was hold down the flashing red button for 10 seconds.

Where were you on that one, manual.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HA! Aint life wonderful?
-Tyson

Anonymous said...

Thanks, you saved my life. Well, you enabled me to shower and wash my clothes to be precise. I had already tried holding down the red button, but hadn't dared to switch it on again!

Pressure is OK (2 bar) so I was mystified.

Hmmm, maybe they could automate it so a robot arm automatically holds down the button ....